Ceramic Resurfacing Services: How Does Ceramic Coating Protect Pumps in Harsh Systems from Corrosion?24 July 2023
Ceramic resurfacing is the application of a ceramic coating or layer onto the surface of a pump or other equipment to enhance its appearance, durability, and performance. It is commonly used in various industries like automotive, aerospace, marine, and household applications.
This specific service involves multiple steps to ensure proper adhesion of the coating to their surfaces. One of its steps is surface preparation. The surface of an object is properly prepared before applying the ceramic coating by removing any contaminants like dirt, oil, grease, or rust. Surface preparation can also be done through sandblasting or abrasive blasting. The next step in ceramic resurfacing is masking to protect areas that should not be coated. It is done by using masking tape or other suitable methods.
After these steps are carried out, the coating itself must then be done. It can be done through spray application, dip coating, or brush application.
Primary Ceramic Coating Techniques
Different ceramic coating techniques can be done during ceramic resurfacing. These techniques are as follows:
• Spray Application– This ceramic coating technique is done by applying ceramic coating with a spray gun or specialised spray equipment. These tools can help distribute the ceramic coating material evenly to the involved object’s surface. The object is placed in a spray booth or any other controlled environment to ensure proper coating application.
• Dip Coating– Dip coating is carried out by immersing an object into a bath or tank that contains the ceramic coating material. The object is slowly withdrawn from the bath to drain off excess coating material and leave a uniform coating on the surface. This ceramic coating technique can be useful for objects with complex shapes or internal cavities.
• Brush Application– Brush application involves applying the ceramic coating material onto the object surface using brushes or rollers. It is done for touch-ups or difficult-to-reach areas.
Once the ceramic coating is applied, an object should be subjected to curing to achieve proper bonding and hardening of the coating. Curing involves air drying, oven curing, or exposure to ultraviolet light, depending on the ceramic coating material used. The object surface, ultimately, is inspected and tested to ensure the coating meets the desired specifications.
Ceramic Coating as a Protecting Agent
One common application of the ceramic coating or resurfacing service is pumps. Pumps are often exposed to harsh environments. Once coated with the correct surface material, they can achieve benefits that other processes cannot provide. These benefits are the following.
• Corrosion Resistance: One of the benefits of ceramic coating is its notable corrosion resistance. Ceramic oxide or ceramic composite coatings can form a dense and highly durable barrier to the pumps, protecting their metal surfaces from chemical attack, oxidation, and corrosive substances in harsh systems and conditions.
• Chemical Inertness: Ceramic coatings are chemically inert, allowing them to not react with most chemicals present in industrial processes. They can resist the corrosive effects of acids, alkalis, solvents, and other substances found in harsh systems. This benefit protects the pumps and their components from corrosion-related issues.
• Thermal Protection: Ceramic resurfacing can likewise provide thermal protection to pumps operating in high-temperature environments. It can provide excellent thermal insulation properties, which reduce heat transfer to the underlying metal surfaces. Minimising heat transfer can then prevent thermal stress, distortion, and degradation of the pump parts.
Other benefits of ceramic resurfacing include enhanced anti-fouling properties, improved efficiency, increased lifespan, and boosted cost savings. Now, when considering ceramic coating for pump protection in harsh systems, you must only choose a reputable coating provider with expertise in the specific industry and application requirements.
Optimized by: Netwizard SEO